You know the excuse “my dog ate my homework?”
Well, today, the dog ate my blog post. More specifically, the dog ate my camera cord.
Allow me to introduce you to Lola.
She is my roommate’s hyperactive little puppy, who I just can’t help but love. Right now, she seems to be going through a teething phase. Upon discovering her latest chew toy, I often find myself saying, “She’s so lucky she’s cute…”
My camera cord was just the most recent example. Fortunately, I’m getting a replacement cord today.
In the meantime, this is the perfect opportunity to introduce you to another recent love in my life:
Fruit, Nut and Oat Bars
- 3/4 C mixed dry fruit and nuts
- 2/3 C water
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1 1/4 C uncooked oats
- 1/3 C loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/4 C WW flour
- 1/4 C applesauce
- In small saucepan, combine fruit, nuts, water and cinnamon. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until almost all liquid is absorbed (Approximately 10 minutes). Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- Combine oats, brown sugar and flour in medium-sized bowl. Add applesauce and mix until crumbly. Press 2/3 of mixture on bottom of 8- or 9-in baking pan. Bake 10-15 minutes in 350 degree oven, until golden brown.
- Spread fruit and nut mixture evenly over base. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 oat mixture, patting lightly. Bake for another 20 minutes, until topping is golden brown.
- Allow pan to cool slightly before cutting into bars.
Take a minute to enjoy a bar. In the case that you have a wild puppy running around the house, enjoy two bars. You probably deserve it.
On another note, yesterday was the second day of half-marathon training with a designated 3.5 mile run. It was my first time dealing with the humidity since being back to the states, so it was slightly brutal.
Afterward, I quickly changed into my swimsuit and then jumped into the pool to cool off.
To top off a mock triathlon, the boy and I rode bikes across campus to an ice cream social. I had the first “Drumstick” I’ve had in years and it was delicious.
We went down to boy’s house after the ice cream social for dinner. I wasn’t very hungry, so I stuck to guzzling a couple of glasses of water and having a juicy orange.
After that, I went home, showered off and realized I was finally getting my appetite. I whipped up a delicious “Flat Out” tortilla pizza with my carrot hummus, some onion, roasted red peppers and sprinkle of feta.
The boy came back over and we spent the rest of the evening playing Scattegories with my roommates while combatting off an energetic puppy.
Apparently, I am more like Lola than I realized. No, I didn’t take to chewing on random objects. But, after running around all day, I crashed hard that night and slept like a baby puppy.
Questions: Do you have any pets? Are they mischievous?