Since modesty is my favorite thing about myself, I try to avoid tooting my horn.
No use in denial, though: I am really generous… Oprah and her car giveaway should take notes.
That is why on this fine day I am sharing not one, but two freebies with you lovely people.
My first donation comes courtesy of a couple of over-ripe bananas.
My freezer was already pretty well stocked with bananas (for smoothies and banana soft-serve), so I decided to put these to another use.
I scanned some recipe books for inspiration. I settled upon muffins, but had a strong craving for PB (what’s new?). Finding nothing that fit the bill, I improvised a bit.
Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- 1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
- 1 C oats
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 T unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 t vanilla
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 2 flax eggs
- 3/4 C mashed banana (about two medium)
- 1/2 C natural peanut butter (I used chunky)
- 1 C light buttermilk
- 1/4 C melted natural peanut butter (Lazy college student style: Nuke it!)
- 1/4 C skim milk
- ~1 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- In a large bowl, mix flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In medium bowl, combine applesauce, vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar, flax eggs, mashed bananas, PB and buttermilk.
- Make a well in the flour mixture. Pour in applesauce mixture. Combine, but do not over-mix.
- Divide evenly in a greased muffin tin. Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Note: I used a mini-muffin tin and cooking time was about 17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for glaze. Allow muffins to cool slightly before topping with glaze.
Although packed with the goodness of oats, whole wheat flour, banana and healthy fats, these muffins are not the healthiest in my repertoire.
Not to worry about the ol’ figure, though. Some new additions to my workout wardrobe make me even more eager to squeeze in some sweat time…
With my hair at the shortest it’s ever been and an upcoming (sure to be messy) half-marathon, I was eager for something that could reliably keep my face clear.
To my great luck, the wonderful folks at Bondi Band sent me a peace-inspired headband to try out. After just one training run, I was completely in love. The light-weight band stays put and holds my untamed hair in place.
What’s even better is that Bondi Band included another headband for me to giveaway to one (very lucky) reader.
Three standard ways to enter:
- Leave a comment telling me what’s your favorite way to workout.
- Follow me on Twitter “@Pursuit2Health” and leave a comment saying you did so.
- Mention the giveaway on your blog and link back to here.
The giveaway will end at 5 p.m. CST on Friday.
Next up for me? A new pair of running shoes…
For anyone who’s interested in passing a freebie along, keep in mind I’m a size 8.