Usually, a topic for my blog naturally develops throughout the day. Some times this is centered on my meals, other times on recipes and other times on events in my life.
On rare occasions, however, nothing jumps out at me — Unless you count the crickets jumping around in my head.
Today was one of those days.
Early on, there was nothing alarming. I mean, it was even a pretty great breakfast…
Consumed: 1/3 C oats cooked with 2/3 C water, topped with dried mixed berries, chocolate sunflower seed butter and crunchy dark chocolate granola.
Then, I had a much-needed strangth training session with my workout buddy. This was all good stuff, just nothing sarcastic, funny or interesting enough for a blog to revolve around.
By the time I had cleaned up, gone to campus for some work and the walked over to Dan’s for lunch, I was beginning to get a little annoyed — I usually have an idea by that time — but still wasn’t freaking out.
Consumed: Leftover mixture of taco-seasoned black beans and corn, topped with green peppers and onion and a bit of cheese. Served with one whole-wheat tortilla and a container of tropical fruit in 100 percent juice.
Good food and pictures of the boy. Nothing unusual there! What was unusual was that I still didn’t have an idea and my anxiety had increased so much that I began doing uncharacteristic things, such as stealing a magazine from the (free to read, but not really supposed to take) section of the library.
I promise I’ll return it!
My day got even more stressful when I realized I was about to polish off my Trader Joe’s white bean and basil hummus.
No blog inspiration AND no hummus? I’m on the verge of a mental breakdown here…
But, then, I looked across my room and saw my “inspiration corner.” Immediately my tension was released, my fears were calmed and my nerves subsided.
Although I didn’t have total blog post inspiration, per say, I did have the comfort that a new day and new dose of inspiration would soon come…
In the meantime, I might as well relax and enjoy a delicious smoothie-in-a-bowl.
Almond Butter and Banana Smoothie
- 1/2 C non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 2 T oats
- 3-4 ice cubes (can use fewer if also using a frozen banana)
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 T crunchy almond butter (can substitute any nut butter)
- Toppings, optional (I used crunchy dark chocolate granola and some coconut butter)
- In a blender, combine the milk, oats and ice cubes. Blend until ice cubes are well ground.
- Stop the blender. Add the banana. Blend for another 5-10 seconds.
- Stop the blender. Add the almond butter. Blend for another 5-10 seconds.
- Pour into a large bowl, add toppings and enjoy!
In the revised words of orphan Annie, “The
sun inspiration will come out tomorrow!”
Questions: What do you do when you feel lost for inspiration (whether in writing or in general life)?
- Check out my updated “Edibles” page!
- Re-visit my recipe for “Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie Pie,” as featured on “Oh She Glows.”
- I just finished “Pope Joan,” a novel about the possibly real, possibly fictitious female pope of the ninth century. I love historical novels!