Hypocritical food choices?

Last month, First Lady Michelle Obama caught a lot of flack for a trip she made to a D.C. Shake Shack. There, she ordered and consumed 1,700 calories worth of fries, burgers and milkshakes. Immediately, media outlets responded by calling Michelle, who is an advocate for healthy eating, a hypocrite.

My question is this: Although there was really no redeeming value in Michelle’s order, is it really worth dethroning her as a nutrition queen?

Here’s my take…

Throughout the time her husband has been in office, Michelle has done a great deal of good in the fight against childhood obesity. She helped bring about the new guidelines for a “food plate” rather than the flawed pyramid. She has also encouraged physical activity and healthy, local eating.

[source]

There’s no denying that these programs are a long time coming, considering that one in three American children are overweight or obese. Something must be done and someone needs to speak up. So, who better than the first lady?

The reason that Michelle is such a good candidate to lead the health initiatives is that she is a highly public figure. Unfortunately, that is also her downfall. As long as she continues to promote healthy eating and active lifestyles, there will be people tracking her every move and scrutinizing her decisions.

Does that make her any less of a role model? I don’t know, but it sure does prove that she is relatable.

I’m not trying to make excuses. I really don’t see any positive aspects to Michelle’s Shake Shack order. However, I can understand where she was possibly coming from. Heck, there are times when I just crave the molten lava chocolate cake from Chili’s.

It’s delicious. It’s incredible. It’s really, really sinful at 1,270 calories and 65 grams of fat.

For that reason, I don’t go out and order it for dessert every night. But, if once a year, I’m with a few friends and we decide to split a cake, I can almost guarantee that I wouldn’t say no.

So, until I see Michelle ordering gut-busters from Shake Shack every single week, I’m going to give her the benefit of the doubt. That’s because the bottom line is this: Shake Shack’s nothing but garbage, but it’s not worth throwing Michelle’s healthy eating campaign into the trash.

Questions: What do you think? Do you think it’s acceptable to have occasional diet splurges?

Notes: Be sure to enter my Somersault Snack Co. giveaway!

Advertisements

5 responses to “Hypocritical food choices?

  • Gen

    I definitely agree with you!!! To me, part of a healthy lifestyle is indulging every once in a while! Its when these indulgences become weekly or daily occurrences that there is a problem!

  • Stephanie

    80/20! As long as her 80% isn’t ordered from the Shake Shack, I don’t see why she can be called a hypocrite. (I also wonder if she actually ate every bite of everything she ordered that day, but that’s neither here nor there.)

  • Joanne

    Bravo… well said Emily. Plus we need to remember it’s moderation with exercise mixed in.

  • LauraJayne

    I not only think it is okay, I think it is necessary. I believe that too many restrictive diets start by completely eliminating food groups – that can lead to eating disorders or binges, which is not healthy. Instead, I think it’s okay (or even recommended) to have a cheat day or meal – and if that happens to include fries, burgers and shakes, then great. 1,700 is less than half of a pound (if eaten in addition to a day’s worth of calories) and not the end of the world. I actually commend Michelle Obama for showing that she is just like the rest of us – trying to be healthy 80% of the time, and indulging the other 20%!

    Great post!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: