I haven’t been craving vegetables lately. Earth shattering, I know.
It’s not like I’d shun a good salad or shy away from a Green Monster. I’m just not going out of my way to get those things.
Instead, I’m filling my calorie bank with whole-grains, smoothies and “occasional” scoops of Graeter’s ice cream. Although I’m not necessarily complaining — there is little to complain about when you have a cup of mint chocolate chip ice cream in your hands — but, my body isn’t feeling its best.
That’s why, when I was compiling my shopping list last week, I decided to load the deck with one dish that would make it easy to get vegetable servings all week long.
Colorful Veggie Saute
- ~2 T olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- 1 C vegetable broth
- 2 C frozen corn
- 2 yellow squash, cubed
- 1 C frozen edamame
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 t dried basil
- 1 t dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until lightly browned. Add garlic and sweet potato and continue sauteing until sweet potato can become easily pierced, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, corn, squash and edamame. Stir and continue cooking until squash is tender.
- Add tomatoes, basil and oregano. Stir and reduce heat to medium. Allow mixture to simmer for 2-3 minutes, until tomatoes are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper.
This definitely gave me a fair share of vegetables!
However, for the first time in a while, that actually seemed to be a good thing… And I wasn’t the only one craving some veggies.
Even still, we couldn’t make it through the whole dish in one night, so there was a good amount of leftovers. That just made for some delicious wraps with whole-grain tortillas, Laughing Cow Swiss Cheese and a servings of the veggie saute.
Question: What do you do when you aren’t craving something that you really should eat?