I would say that I am not a fan of beer — I mean, I spent two months in Germany and visiting countless beer halls, I still don’t like drinking the stuff.
Yet, to say that I do not like beer is not true. This is because, there is one form of beer that I have loved ever since I was little. It’s even worth cracking an ice-cold brew open before noon on a weekday…
To clarify, my parents didn’t give me alcohol and I haven’t gone crazy. I just love, love, love…
Whole-Wheat Beer Biscuits
- 1-1/2 C whole-wheat baking mix, such as Hodgson Mill
- 6 fl. oz. beer
- 1/4 C sugar
- Gather all the ingredients. This shouldn’t take very long.
- Crack open the beer and allow it to breathe for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients until fully combined and smooth. Batter should be pretty thick.
- Grease a muffin tin and fill each slot 2/3 way up with batter. (Note: I got nine muffins out of this recipe.)
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until muffins are firm to the touch. Allow to cool on a baking sheet.
I suggest serving these warm with a pad of buttery spread.
It also helps to have a husband who’s willing to “take one for the team” and finish off the beer.
For the record, the alcohol bakes out of these while they are in the oven. It just gives the muffins a great taste — and, as mentioned, I don’t even like the flavor of straight-up beer!
Questions: Do you like drinking beer? Have you ever had beer biscuits or beer bread before?